Any interior designer will tell you that to add interest and depth to a room, you must add textures and layers. This most often comes in the forms of fabrics - a chunky knit throw or pillow, a rich leather ottoman, a soft area rug underfoot, or seagrass woven baskets. But an element that shouldn't be overlooked is glass, most notably clear, seaglass inspired pieces that either have an un-smooth surface, slight bluish tint, or even both if you're feeling crazy. I've been drawn to this look since I saw a strand of aqua beads at Elsie Green last summer that I had to buy. Yet, I am seeing this look pop up in both home decor and fashion, and I plan to embrace it. It's understated yet noticed, ensues calmness and tranquility and, plain simply, is just pretty. Feast your eyes on some bluish-clear-seagrass-inspired objects I've admired as of late. It's not just for beach houses, my broads.
1. So, technically, this painting by Philip Barlow is neither clear nor blue but my, oh, those glassy-looking waves. The texture and colors would add such a statement to any room.
2. Never underestimate the power of good lighting or the vessel that provides it. These lamps make a statement without stealing the show. I want them flanking my bedside on nightstands or on a console table sandwiching a large wall mirror.
3. I'll be honest. The lucite trend wasn't one that I originally could get behind. But something about this table seems so right. It's perfect for a small space as it has little visual weight and gives the eyes a rest.
4. This necklace is what sparked this entire post. I have to have this. Like, now. Can't you just see it worn over a breton-stripe shirt? Perfection.
5. These vintage oil bottles are the perfect addition to a shelfie, mantel, bar cart, you name it. Each is unique and makes a statement when grouped together.
6. This certainly isn't the first, nor will it be the last time you see glass or wood beads in home decor. They're popping up everywhere! Throw them in a bowl on your coffee table, wrap them around a decanter or vintage bust, just get them. And thank me later.
Until next time...